Helmet respraying

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Helmet respraying

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:02 pm

What to do?
Strip the lid down to the bare shell

You need to clean the lids completely. removing any decal glue, dirty or old loose paint.

Once you have cleaned the lid you need to gentle rough the surface up using either a brio pad, or light sandpaper. The best preparation provides the best finish.

This provides a key for the spray paint to stick to.

IT MUST be perfectly clean. You can't take short cuts otherwise the paint finish will be crap.

The best way of spraying is in a garage, but I don't have one so I actually make a temporary string line between the house and the garden fence. (Obviously this can only be done on Clear sunny days )

I use a second piece of string to hang the lid. Make a loop to hold the lid up. pass the two end of (hanging String) through one of the Air holes on top of the lid. i actually tie both ends to a pencel inside the lid. This allows the lids to spin and be sprayed well.

You need to build up the spray paint, with Very Very thin layers. Each layer will dry in 10 to 15 minutes, and by the time the lid has 6 to 7 layers. You should see a nice overall covering. I just keep going until the the paint gets low. You'll notice the tin getting light (in weight) when its runing out. DON'T USE EVER DROP as the end of the tin will get a little spluttery, and that could ruin your paint job.

Make sure by the third or fourth layer you are paying attention to the edges of the lid (Open area for around cage and neck area)

Don't hold the spray tin too close, and make sure you move the tin around. Just be patient and build the layers up. JUST LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE TIN

One Hammerite smooth Tin will cover two lids.

And two tins will stretch over 3 lids quite ok.

We wear Yellow lids & I have had difficultly covering RED, BLUE & BLACK in this manner (BLACK IS A BITCH, no matter what colour it changes too) so ....

...I just spray these colours with 3 or 4 very thin coats of Hammerite Smooth white colour.

Try not to spray the lids too late in the day, as they should not be left out over night. But also you can't bring them into the house as the paint really strinks, when drying.

The lids will be touch dry in about 10 to 12 hours and fully hard in about a week, but can be used early in emergencies. But that could weaken the finish over the year.

PS You can buy Hammerite Smooth at virtually any Halfords store. But they do only hold 3 or 4 tins of some paints (like our Yellow)

Just a real light scratching of the surface. Just enough for the first spray to stick to.
Also wear old clothes. Bloody hammerite sticks to clothes. You'll end up with Red shaded shoes, jeans, TShirts etc..... I have a Yellow set
Just don't hold the Tin too close either.
Another Tip is raid a first aid box, for rubber gloves..... this spray with stick to your skin as well!
If you keep the tin 200-250mm or 8-10inch away fro the lids, and build up slowly, you shouldn't get any runs, or orange peel finishes. Nice and slow

I'd also recommend you masking tape over any labels or bits of metal still attached to your lid.
Admin
Admin

http://lanuciaspartans.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Helmet respraying

Post  Rusty #87 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:15 pm

what colour are we having???
Rusty #87

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I will also say Im not a fan on respraying helmets, ive heard some horror storys but i also know its been done for years

what colour are we having???

officially we have not yet agreed but with what other clubs have, what is available white is the best option
Admin
Admin

http://lanuciaspartans.team-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top